Founded in 1889, Gladstone’s Library is the UK’s only Prime Ministerial library, its finest residential library and the national memorial to one of Britain’s greatest statesmen, William Ewart Gladstone (1809 – 1898). Designed by John Douglas, the Grade 1 listed building dates from 1902 and is home to a world-renowned collection of 250,000 printed items including 20,000 of Gladstone’s own books, all of which bear his handwritten annotations. The collection has a special focus on history, politics, literary culture and theology from the nineteenth century to the present day. Gladstone’s Library also offers accommodation, conference rooms, daily tours and a Coffee Shop (Food for Thought) along with an annual programme of courses, events and festivals which are available to all. Gladstone’s Library is open daily for fifty weeks of the year. There is no admission charge.
Church Lane, Hawarden, Flintshire CH5 3DF
[ Back ]