Sat03Aug201910 am - 4 pm Woodland Skills Centre, The Warren, Bodfari, Denbigh, LL16 4DT
Visit to the Woodlands Skills Centre, BodfariThe Woodland Skills Centre have just been given the Green Flag Award which is the benchmark national standard for publicly accessible parks and green spaces in the United Kingdom.Time - 10:00 am to 12:30 for the Morning short walk-talk 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm for the longer walk, bring a picnic if you plan staying on.
Host - Rod Waterfield, WSC ManagerRod describes the day as - "Visit the award-winning Woodland Skills Centre in the heart of the AONB near to Bodfari. You can come for the morning or for the whole day.
Morning (10.00 till 12.30) :
A talk about the history and work of the Centre - the courses in traditional crafts, work with schools and families and the social prescribing programmes with children and adults with a wide range of disabilities and problems.
The timber frame buildings - why and how they were built and how they show that traditional techniques and renewable materials can be used to make energy efficient buildings which meet modern standards.
A short walk round the grounds by the Centre - arboretum, vineyard, allotments, medicinal herb garden, heritage orchard, wildflower meadows, apiary, polytunnels, tree nursery and workshops.
If you would like to join the afternoon walk then please bring a packed lunch. Tea and coffee will be provided.
Afternoon (1.30 till 4.00)
A walk through the 40 acre woodland looking at how it is managed for people, wildlife and profit and the successes in the range of wildlife that is there.
There is car parking at the Centre but please car share if you can. There are toilets at the Centre and the buildings have full disabled access. Tea and coffee will be provided but anyone wanting to stay for the afternoon walk should bring a packed lunch."
Directions to Woodland Skills Centre, The Warren, Bodfari, Denbigh, LL16 4DT
Grid ref SJ 102715 off the A541 Denbigh to Mold road
from the west
- go through Bodfari - Downing Arms on right
- after 0.6 mile, double bend sign on left
- after 0.4 mile, sign "bends for half mile"
- after 150 yards, turn left between second and third chevron signs at side of road opposite Woodland Skills Centre direction sign on right verge - site is 600 yards on the left – sign at gateway
from the east
either take the A 55 west and come off at junction 31 signed for Prestatyn, turn left off the slip road to Caerwys, go straight thorough Caerwys down the hill and at the T junction turn right onto the A 541. You are in Afonwen.
or go to Mold and take the A541 signed to St Asaph and Denbigh
- go through Afonwen
- after about 1.2 miles there is a lane on the left with weak bridge sign – stay on main road
- after 200 yards, turn right - Woodland Skills Centre direction sign on verge
- site is about 600 yards on the left – large gateway with Woodland Skills Centre signPlease let me know if you or anyone you know are planning to join us. Neville HowellTrustee and Events Secretary Friends of the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley 01244 535173, 07850 921295, email@example.com